Tuesday, March 07, 2006

When Seasons Collide

Surprise, another soccer post. It's just that soccer seems to be all-consuming right now, even though it has really just started. Big Kid has not yet finished his indoor soccer league, is in his 3rd week of Middle School ball, and has completed the season-opening tournament and Week 1 of club. Little Kid has completed Week 1 of Academy.

Big Kid is sick, as am I, but I am getting over it, slowly; I don't know if he is, or not. He whines every morning about everything hurting, but he seems to be okay to play and to be on the phone and the computer. HHHMMMM. It's a cold - suck it up - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Of course, if the person across the hall from me at work would have the courtesy to 1) stay home when sick as a dog, instead of coming in here hacking all over the place, and 2) wash your hands, frequently, especially when sick (she tells people she doesn't believe in it - you know, like other 15-16th century peoples). If she hadn't contaminated the whole damn place, I wouldn't have been sick twice in 3 weeks, and I wouldn't have taken it home with me. I was really hoping, being in a new building with new air, we'd all stay well this season; apparently, I was expecting too much of my co-workers.

Back to soccer; Big Kid was out of school for 2 1/2 days last week, missed his Friday school game, but played both club games this weekend. We had no subs Saturday - were almost having to play one short, because we have kids who are hurt/going through the growth spurt knee pains thing. We played our toughest team Saturday, and held them 1-1. Sunday, we should've walked all over that team - they sucked - , and we were up 2-0 at one point, but we fell flat. The boys were all exhausted and couldn't run anymore. That game ended up 3-3, when it should've been 3-0 or more. We all got in trouble for letting the boys all play school ball. The stupid thing is, our coach said way last fall that he was going to call each coach himself and clear it so that they only participated in the club practices on those 2 days - not school and club both. But he didn't call any but his (surprise) and then with 5 schools to deal with, half of the scheduled games are occurring on practice nights, and if they try to make up the practices on other nights, then there are games for others on those nights. So basically, the games are okay at this point (that may change), but the boys are not supposed to be going to any school practices at all. It's way too much. One of the boys played 3 school games last week, after our 3-game tournament weekend, then 2 game weekend; that is entirely too much. But he also enjoys playing school ball more, so maybe he needs to decide if he comes back for tryouts this summer. I'm just curious what other Select teams do with the boys who want to play for school, too - surely they don't all disallow it? I have no idea, though I could see it at some of those bigger clubs. As far as soccer goes, college recruiters look at clubs, not schools, so to disallow school play makes sense; but do they? Maybe some school systems are a little more understanding and tolerant of the "real" soccer, and can accommodate the requirements; several counties don't have soccer in the schools (yet), so maybe that's the difference. I guess we'll think more about it next year, if we survive this year.

On the Hobby Front, I am now official - I got my business license last week. Now if the website was done... I only owe a couple more pieces of data, but they aren't relevant to the business part, so they can wait until what I've already done is up and published. I'm going to be really pissed if I have to renew the paper in December and haven't made enough money from the site to cover it. I had a show at work last Friday, taking orders for Mother's Day gifts, with 15% of the sales going to Relay for Life; it wasn't quite the turnout I was expecting, and I don't know if it was because the outside vendors that were in here a few weeks back turned every body off, or if there just wasn't interest. No idea, but I'm suspecting that it wasn't worth the time/trouble to organize; they'll end up getting $60 out of it for RfL, unless I top it off a little more - it depends on how much it will cost me to get all of the stuff in. Oh well, at least it was a tiny bit of exposure, and a few days later, people are still commenting about it. And I should be able to open the necessary business bank account, so I can get the website PayPal account verified. In case he ever needs to put the PayPal info up there. In case he gets that far.

In the meantime, I really want to be stitching, but I just have not had much time, being at games 4 out of every 7 days. I did join a monthly silk floss club from Stitching Bits and Bobs - I didn't get in on it in time for the last shipment, so I have to wait until the end of this month to get the first one - I cannot wait! Once school soccer is over, I see a lot more time for stitching, if I can ever get a handle on the laundry. I did manage to get my Scarlet Quince Unicorn fabric gridded; I've never done that before, so we'll see if it was worth my time - I don't see how it couldn't be, but with the projects I have done so far, I've managed without it. I would just assume that this being the long project I expect it to be, at least the gridding will help me figure out where I left off if I put it down for periods of time, as I am sure to do. Some of these folks have rotations with tens of projects going; I wish I had the space to do something like that, but just the amount of time taken to switch everything out, even once a week or every couple, is more than I feel I can spare now. I don't have room to keep stuff organized for more than the 1-2 that I have going now. That's a goal for when I am independently wealthy, I guess. I sure hope that's soon.

Little Kid turned 9 a week ago Sunday; we had just us together, after the day's soccer was over, of course, though Big Brother's team got a few Birthday whacks in before he managed to wiggle free. Big Kid's day is coming up - 16 days from now. I haven't gotten him one thing yet. I haven't had time. I don't even know what he wants, besides more games that he doesn't have time to play. I want him to get a haircut, but I don't see it happening. And an attitude adjustment; his teenagerism has been especially bad the past few days that he's been sick; well, I haven't been particularly pleasant, either - that's what happens when everyone around you is deaf and you have to repeat everything you say, when you've only got enough air for the first time. And no sleep.

Enough - I don't have time for this idle chatter! Games to watch, laundry to do!!!

No comments: