Monday, August 29, 2005

Katrina Has Landed

It was pretty nice here all day, though we knew it was coming. Now, at 7:00 at night, there are tornado warnings all over - there is one in almost every county around us right this minute - flood warnings, too, but it is only lightly raining here right now. I haven't even heard any thunder in the last half-hour or so. When one of the bands comes around again, I bet we'll get more then. I check the rain guage around 5:30 each day, and it had just started raining here then, so it'll be interesting to see what's in there in the morning when I leave for work.

I moved KittyKitty's food into the garage - she wasn't happy, and Ripley ate most of it before she finished pouting. I assume she'll go in the garage if it gets bad out (if we remember to leave the door up for her a little) instead of hiding in the canas. The other three are all huddled here in the house. I am sure the silly dog is out standing in it; as thick as his fur is, I'm not sure how wet he has to get before it actually gets to his skin. It doesn't seem to bother him - he sleeps through a lot of the rains, laying out there in the mud. Dumber than a bag of hammers, that dog. Good dog, but dumb.

Well, it'll be interesting to see who's office has a leak tomorrow morning; there seems to be a new one every time we have storms, especially now that our new buildings are nearing completion. Man, I hope the rest of hurricane season doesn't delay our moving - they are completely inside now (except the landscaping, of course), so hopefully we'll stay on schedule. The new buildings are only 3.5 miles closer to home, but those 3.5 miles are at least 20 minutes in the morning, and often 10-15 in the evenings. Guess I should finish up, in case anything moves this way, and we lose power; it would suck to lose my post. I hope everyone involved with Katrina comes out okay, especially my nephew, who is down at Keesler AFB in Biloxi at his Tech School. I bet I know what he'll be doing for the next few days - GI Party all over the base, and into town, if necessary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,

I was just reading along instead of working (It's hump day and I'm tired!!) and I realized you were talking about Daniel. Just wanted to let you know he's been shipped to Texas and I'll forward mailing info when I get it. I'm sure he'd love to hear from the fam since I know he's pretty lonely down there. And I think you could probably write up something pretty entertaining....

I must say, despite years of growing up and being witness to the dysfunction and craziness that is our family, I'm still inclined to think we're the hidden literary geniuses formerly of SW Ohio! I have to admit, several of your stories could have been mine, (OK, minus the husband, kids, soccer games etc.) I think it's probably just the smartass every day comments that I find so entertaining. Probably because they are honest and forthcoming and so very few people are these days. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm reading, laughing and anxiously awaiting the latest entry. Can't wait to see the beads!!