Tuesday, October 25, 2005

SHHH - be vewy vewy qwiet

The last two weeks have been very long at work; nothing's going on except clean-up for the move next month, and testing of patches for our ERP systems. I hate testing. It's always such a convoluted mess, mainly because it's controlled in our California office, and that 3-hour time difference is always to our disadvantage. And the boss seems to keep needing to take days off, leaving me the only one here, while my co-worker is still out recouping from her surgery. She has her doctor's appt. today, so she might be back this week, if he'll release her; she was mopping her floor last week when I talked to her - sounds well enough to me. I sure hope she's back; I would really like to have Monday off. He conveniently forgot about me not being here Friday - in our dept (can a group of 2 grunts & 1 supervisor really be considered a department?) meeting, he wanted me to send an e-mail to schedule time to go to one of our contract manufacturers, to see if we can't figure out why they are having problems getting to our data. He said if he needed to go, he wouldn't be available Friday; I looked at him for a minute, and said "Uh, I won't either?". He squinted at his calendar and said "Interesting". I have no idea what that means. Whatever. I will not be at work on Friday - either by his leave, or if I have to call in sick, I will. It's bullshit - I knew about those 2 days a month before she scheduled her surgery, so maybe they need to live with it, not me. I am always at work - even if I take a sick day (it's never for me, it's always for one of the boys), I am there making up as much as I can. That's why I have 2 floating holidays, 44 hours sick time, and 32 hours vacation time right now. I am taking a sick day on 11/9 - I have my yearly check that morning, both boys have physicals that afternoon (I blew them off during the spring, when they should have had them), and just happened to get DH a dentist appointment, too - I have to go with him, or he won't go. Let's see anybody else manage appointments that well. And I don't really consider all those appointments as time off of work - it's work to get that all coordinated and taken care of. I need a couple of days off, people, okay? I don't think this is a hard concept to follow. I get 2 days off, or people start getting hurt. Pretty simple.

In other news, my 12-year-old scored the winning goal in his game this past Saturday!!!!one!! It was the coolest thing I've ever seen; he had a direct kick - forget what the call was now - it's unimportant. He was 5-10 yards from the center line of the field, and just nailed it. It arced right down, just over the tips of the goalie's fingers, nothing but net. It was just like you see on TV. The whole team ran over to him and pounded him on the back and such. It was total redemption for the loss to this same team during the season-opening tournament - you know, the one where the stupid-ass coach showed up, after his suspension was over, and fucked it all up for us. I am pretty sure they came up there, expecting to just walk all over us, and at half-time, we were down 2-0, but man, second half, we came out and kicked ass. You could see it on the faces of the other team - when we scored the first goal, they were all like "UH! You're not supposed to do that! You guys are supposed to suck!" And OMG did they yell at the ref every opportunity they got. If I was that ref, every time one of them opened their mouths to dispute something, big old Yellow Card for you, Sir! As bad as our reffing has been all year, this guy did an okay job - at the very least, he was very involved in it. After it was over, he gave us his interpretation of the Handball - it was partly bullshit, but whatever. I think he needs to brush up on his Offsides calls, too. We won 4-3, but one of their first couple of goals was totally offsides - that's like 5-6 against us this year that were obviously offsides. It's getting old.

During the game, one of the parents I absolutely despise (yeah, Carla, I mean you) made some shitty comment about my boy passing the ball back to her retard son, who flubbed it and lost possession; she just couldn't understand why on earth you would pass the ball back when you are moving forward. Uh, the fact that my kid had 2 guys all over him, and were about to force the ball out, plus he ending up having his back to the goal, keeping these guys off the ball, never occurred to her. It's called passing to an open player when you are stuck, you stupid idiot. That's why there are 9 other guys (10, if the goalie's not busy) on the field. So I looked her in the eye (I had my shades on of course, but I think most people know when I'm giving them the eye) and said "He was about to be forced out, I'm sure". She then said, "Well, it didn't look that close to me" - this from the coke-bottle-glasses-wearing, 5'0" person who wouldn't know in if it smacked her in the head. I said "Well, why don't you just ask him when he gets over here". She didn't say anything to that. And after the game, this same moron said that if they hadn't won this game, they were not going to go to the Savannah game this coming weekend. Now, if we weren't already in danger of not having enough players (1 quit, 1 can't play because his grades suck, 1 is who-knows-when-he'll-show-up, and others we know only go when we make special effort to get them there) and having to forfeit, I would've said, "Yeah, well, whatever - it won't matter". But we had exactly 11 for a home game, and we know very specifically 1 will not be going to Savannah - they are NOT driving 6 hours for a game, and have bitched about ever since they had the schedule handed to them - so I can't really discourage them from going. I'm going to be really pissed if we make all these plans to get down there, and come Saturday, we have no team show up. Okay, we're making a long weekend out of it, because we usually go to Savannah in October anyway, but the whole point is this game, especially now, when we are able to make up some ground in the standings, should we win (and we should). It's not like having to travel to games is unusual with Select soccer; what are they going to do if we end up playing in Gainesville, FL, or Jacksonville? They have some of the biggest tournaments in the SE - that's kinda what we expect to be doing at this level, people; we signed up for it, remember? God, people kill me.

On the hobby front, I have just placed a huge bead order via my Yahoo group; it's not that much stuff, but it ended up costing a lot more than I expected, since the beads I use for my twister strands have all doubled in price this month. That still freaks me out; they are pretty much static for at least 5 years, and as soon as I go about the business of opening my own business using these as the base, they double. I have either the worst luck of anyone I know, or the gods really are conspiring against me. I think it's a bit of both. But since I can't get any work done on my website for various reasons, I guess I shouldn't get all worked up about it. I just want the website ready to go - that's the biggest piece; after that, it's just a matter of maintaining that and taking care of business, both of which should be no-brainers, as they are totally in my control. I really need it ready for me to start adding the text - the picture-thing still isn't worked out, but that's why placeholders were invented - it's going to take me a few tries to get it where I like it, or at least can live with it. I just really hate when people make commitments that they can't keep. If you don't have time, you just need to tell me, and I'll take it somewhere else. Especially when I've done so much of the leg work already. I'm on a schedule here, and I intend to keep it - I've spent way too much brain power the last few months to let it all go now. If I had the time, I would just figure it out myself, but I plainly do not have the time; yeah, I need another thing I have to do each day before I lay down to sleep. I don't have hours on end of free time - I have 10 minutes here, 15 there, in between stringing beads, cooking dinner, doing homework, doing laundry, you know, running a household and working a full-time job, both with no help.

Anyway, I got my cranberry potato pearls knotted and strung; they are very cool. I'm not real thrilled with the earrings - I couldn't find any gold or gold-filled bead caps that would work - but they are okay. If I find caps later on, there's no reason I can't redo them. That's the great thing about making your own stuff; if you don't like it, or later find something that will work better, all you gotta do is re-do it! A little time and energy, and that great feeling of satisfaction when it finally goes together the way you imagined it.

We got the Halloween stuff out finally; I decided to not mess with the plug-in pumpkins and the little hay bales they sit on - don't feel like cleaning that up this year. I got all of my fall wall quilts out and up, my haunted house X-stitch with the glow-n-the-dark thread. I didn't get my new pumpkin x-stitch done yet, and the other fall one I finished stitching is still hanging on my bed, waiting to be finished/framed/whatever I'm going to do with it. I want to get these pumpkins done so I can get back to my castle; I want to get that done so I can start planning my Scarlet Quince design. I'm going to do a bit of a sample of it first, to decide what fabric I'm going to do it on - I am going to try over 1 on 28 ct, and see if that will cause me to lose my mind. I bet I won't end up doing that - it'll either be over 2 or done on the smallest Aida I can find, so I don't have to count threads, just find the holes. 130K stitches - I must be crazy. And I better get a floor stand for Christmas - we can start with the cheap one at Wally World first, and make any necessary modifications after that. If I could just get my dad to look at a good one and build me one - he is a mechanical genius, after all - it should be a piece of cake for him.

Need to call Mom again tonight - I got through to her today, but got the answering machine. I called last night, but got a busy signal - I didn't try again, as I figured it was like last year, all the lines in Florida tied up when the bottom half of the state gets wiped out. At least they have power, as evidenced by the answering machine. They must not've gotten much of Wilma. Good - they had enough last year. You know, that's what kills me with the hurricanes this year; we had four go through last year, and the gas prices didn't shoot off the charts and all this panic and crap - tell me it isn't all oil company hype. The whole Katrina debacle can just go stick itself, as far as I'm concerned. Do we really need to rebuild the cesspool formerly known as New Orleans? Somehow, I think we can live without it. Of course, all the poor black people will move here - most of them are here already, so whatever. Welfare works in whatever state you're in, doesn't it? At least the Mexicans are busting their asses doing some work every day; these folks that think they are "entitled" to something sure don't lift a finger except to point and throw race cards at every opportunity. Again, people kill me. Repeatedly.

No comments: