Monday, September 20, 2010

It's Almost Here - Autumn!

According the calendar, it's Wednesday. According to the weatherman, we have a while yet - still in the freakin' 90's here, man I am so over it! I loves my heat, don't get me wrong, but you know what? I am perfectly comfortable at a nice 82 with 60% humidity. Is that too much to ask??? And I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of last year, summer one day, fall one afternoon, then WHAMMO, winter. WTF? I moved here because there isn't supposed to BE winter... Of course, I was also supposed to be back in NM or AZ by now, too, so that's how my plans usually fare....


On to the important stuff - no soccer this weekend! My only reprieve until Thanksgiving :( In related news, The Kid did spend the weekend up at Pfeiffer U in NC, doing a visitation & tryout :) I totally am not ready for the coming year... Somebody remind my parents how easy they had it - bought me a new pair of Reebok's and shipped me off to boot camp, they did, which I guess in the end only left me with one major disappointment, but I'd likely do it again, just a bit differently. I never had to do anything to attend college, either, just show up - oh, you're military? Well, here, fill out this mountain of paperwork, give that lady a check. Done. So The Kid and I will both be stepping through stuff, and hopefully something will pan out for him - he's already told me there's not a chance in hell he'd enlist (even though I think it would be good for him). Free money isn't his motivation, apparently, and he's not in a hurry to get out, I guess, like I was - I was already signed up before I found a reason to stay - and then it was too late. If I've done nothing else for him, I hope I've put him in a position to have opportunities I didn't - if he'll just get off his ass and take advantage of them...

So anyway, I had a finish on Friday :) 6 Bats & A Witches Hat by Blue Ribbon Designs is now DONE - took 8 days of concentrated effort, which leads em to wonder why I didn't get it out at least every now & then over the last year?? But after my HUGE counting mistake that I had to rip out last fall, it just took some of the wind out of my sails I guess... Anyway, obviously I got past it, and have another Halloween piece in need of framing now - that To Be Framed pile is growing :(


For the record, I still HATE Weeks Dye Works threads - even on the 40ct fabric, that black was some thin damn stuff....

And, To celebrate the finish, I started Murky Manor from Glendon Place. I also have Sleepy Hollow kitted up, as well as Cherished Stitches' Halloween Quaker (in HDF silks, no less :) ), but MM has been waiting the longest, so it was the first to get started.


I changed the fiber for the moon - after all the Caron Waterlilies used on MTM, I have just decided they aren't worth the expense; they feel nice enough, but if they are supposed to be variegated, then the variegation needs to be apparent in a usable length (18" max), and it just doesn't happen. So off to the Stitch Store I went Saturday (since the moon was where I was starting - not sure why it didn't occur to me BEFORE I sat down to start, but whatever), and I looked at the racks & racks of threads. I picked out a CC belle Soie, Cake, and then I spotted CC cotton, Baby Chick. I got both, the Cake being just a weensy bit darker. Once I got home again, I decided to use the Baby Chick - it actually looks like a moon color to me, especially on the fabric I'm using, the lovely RAK from Trish M. last fall :) I'll save the Cake for Sleepy Hollow, which I think could easily stand the slightly richer color, as the fabric is darker & cooler.

Anyway, I was cranking away on the moon Saturday afternoon, and as I approached the half-way point of my skein of Baby Chick, I realized I was just over 1/3 of the way done with the moon - I wasn't going to have enough! So BACK to the store I went and got another skein, before they closed! I wasn't about to run out and then have to wait to Monday to get more (though it would have been a great excuse to get the H-Quaker out). As of last night, the moon was done, the first bat was done (minus beaded eyes), and the first ghost was done, including his glow-in-the-dark coating of BF (but again, not his beady eyes). I even put the first bits of black roof w/purple BF in, and will pick up there tonight :)


And amazingly enough, that is ALL I did last week; I didn't stitch at lunch at all, was busy writing instead. This week, still on MM, and will probably out the first stitches into Halloween Quaker (I THINK I have fabric for that, more HDF - I need to make sure I'm not misremembering). I need to get Nancy's RR out again and finish up one SNOW, though I still have a few weeks. I need to work on Tanglewood, too - it's hating not having stitch night on Mondays. I won't get to go to this month's PINS meeting this weekend - we're playing Savannah, and since it's usually a brawl (or was every time we played them at Lanier - always had cops involved), I guess I need to be there, to post bail or corroborate events, whatever; the coach already has an attitude, as I guess EVERYONE that has to go down there wants to reschedule. Well, dude, umm, it's a 5-6 hour drive from ATL, it's not unreasonable to NOT want an 8 a.m. Saturday game, right, just as we don't expect you to be up here before afternoon, either. I still don't know why they are in our division, other than really, there isn't anyone else down there to play, S. GA being basically a no man's land. Not My Fault. I think half the Savannah teams have to get out on a work release to attend the games as it is - definitely don't like their thug style. So if you don't see an update next week, it's probably because no one'll bail out The Manager, and I think I have to go to the Big House before I get internet :) Wish me luck, and until then, Happy Stitching, everyone!!!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Congratulations on the finish. Good start on your next project.