Friday, September 02, 2005

And so it begins....

Soccer season officially begins tomorrow for us, with our season-opening tournament. Normally, this would be something we'd be waiting for, but with the events of the past week, it makes me wonder a bit if it's worth it. DH has to drive 50 miles to check in the team tonight, and then in the morning, we have to drive to the venue, I think right around 80 miles. We do have a room down there for tomorrow night, so we won't have to drive in again for Sunday's game, but as gas stations are shutting down as they run out of gas, how silly is it to be doing all this driving for a game? Well, we committed to it, paid the entry fee, and, really, we don't have it as bad as some of the folks coming in from other places. My tank is full, after my 3rd trip this week; I paid $2.45 Sunday, $2.76 w/my Kroger Plus card Wednesday, amid all the panic, and today at Sam's, I got a 1/4 tank for $3.15 a gallon. From what I understand, it's worse out where we are going, so the full tank should get us there and back again in good shape, in case we really can't find any later this weekend. Who knows?

On a lighter note, hopefully between games this weekend, I can get some work done for my site. I need to work on options and pricing. That's pretty portable, though it's times like this that I wish I had a laptop. And if not, I always have my book. Guenevere is pretty good, so far - I'm not quite half-way yet. I just can't decide if I'm going to read the next one in that series as soon as I finish this one, or if I'm going to read Dark Tower VI, Susannah's Song. The DT VII should come out this fall in trade paperback (that's what I have them all in) - I don't remember when I saw it for, because Stephen King's site has it in June, and it didn't happen then. Amazon had it scheduled for November? I don't remember. Anyway, I'm anxious to get to them. I am even more anxious for Harry Potter stuff - the next movie this November - in IMAX - WOOHOO! And the current book in trade paperback (again, that's what we have all of them in). I just love Alan Rickman as Snape; more specifically, I love to listen to him speak. Even when he's saying something shitty to Harry or Hermione. If velvet had a voice....

Speaking of movies, if you haven't seen Alexander yet, do not waste your time or money. I was so very disappointed; I never turn a movie off, and I struggled through 40 minutes of that and had to stop. Colin Farrell could have been great in that, but they hosed it from the get-go with the whole homosexual thing. Yeah, because that was the most significant thing about Alexander. Oliver Stone is either hit or miss, isn't he? I don't think Mel Gibson could have screwed it up any worse - don't get me wrong, I like Mel's work, but Braveheart was so very historically inaccurate, that I'm not too sure how he could get away with it, and win the awards that it did. Of course, I didn't know about the inaccuracies when I watched it the first time, only quite some time after when an English historian in a group of mine set the record straight, and then I did some reading. I know there's artistic license and all that, but a well-documented date should not be subject to that. Better luck next time, Oliver. Maybe Quentin should have a go at it; now that could be very disturbing....

No comments: