Thursday, January 14, 2010

When Worlds Collide - an RAK :)

Tracy was talking about pepper jelly on her blog one day, and that got Tina & I off onto our own tangent. I used to know a lady who made it every fall, but as I don't know where she is now, I haven't had any for a while - and it looks a little more labor-intensive to make than I'm willing to invest right now. So Tina told me she has some locally - and I googled the Southeast US stores I have access to, and no one in the greater Atlanta area seems to carry any. How can that be? Anyway, Tina said she'd pick some up, next time she was there.

While she was in Paris over the holidays, she saw one of the Cluny tapestries in Musee du Moyen Age, and there was a book there on them; she thought of me (and my insanity at working one of them from SQ), and sent that book along with the pepper jelly!


Not pictured - a jar of Red pepper jelly - it's already been opened and is in the fridge - only because I ran out of cream cheese already :(

I opened that box up, and pulled out the book - everyone in the house recognizes the picture on the cover, even if only vaguely. It's a very nice history of the tapestries, and the various theories surrounding the pieces - I can only imagine seeing them in person! Then I pulled out each jar of jelly and unwrapped them from their protective coverings - and I was met with questioning looks from a couple of kids (and at least one dog had her nose going). "What's that for?" "Ummm, you eat it, on crackers with cream cheese?" I know they go to public school, but jeez, JELLY is kinda self-explanatory, innit? They both backed away, looking at me like I was totally out of my tree. Though the Big one did come back out later and asked if he could taste it - then promptly spit the cracker I'd given him out into the trashcan!!!! WTF??? "Hey, don't waste that!" All of which means "IT'S ALL MINE!!!!!!" Though I think DH has eaten if before, too, but I think cream cheese creeps him out. Some people don't know what they're missing...

Thank you, Tina! I will enjoy both jelly & book, and try to keep one from the other :)


1 comment:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Yummy! Good stuff!